Monday, January 14, 2008

Back from the future (+11 GMT)

I'm back from Australia, but must admit the "wonderment" of being on the other side of the world didn't come through as it did with the round the world travels. Mostly this is probably due to us not actually leaving the city of Melbourne - most of the trip was devoted to seeing friends and Mimi's family, and where it wasn't, it was devoted to sitting about doing blissful, sweet nothing (well, playing games on my new PSP, which pretty much equates to the same thing).

It was great meeting the aunts, uncles and cousins who up until know had been merely a character in a couple of anecdotes. It was also particularly nice to meet up with old workmates and friends from my last time over there. And finally it was great to play a lot of Guitar Hero and drink plenty of Aussie beer. I also got a chance to play through all of Half-life : Portal, which I now declare to be the best game made for the PC since, I dunno, Doom ?

So now back at work and pushing through some new years resolutions type stuff. Trying to push back hard on the weight and fitness again - last year got me almost two stone lighter, but those were the two easy stones I think ! Really hoping to battle my way down to 17 stone the start of this year. Fortunatley, my exercise regime has evolved now, such that I have cycling to work (2-3 times a week), the gym (trying for twice a week, but...), yoga on Tuesdays and practice runs at the weekend when Jon and I are both available. Hopefully by the time the 10K run in May comes around, I'll be in a good place.

Along with the yoga, I signed up for a brief creative writing course. Hopefully out of this I can develop a few writing ideas I've had rattling around for a while, and at least "give it a go". The only failure is not trying ;) Simliarly, a stand-up comedy course I finally took is beckoning me to trying out a stand up gig just the once. Not sure I'm advertising that one just yet though.

1 comment:

Ben Godfrey said...

I'm sitting here posting in the middle of the night cos I'm still on Mexico time (GMT -6). I landed yesterday (Monday) morning at 6:00. Bleh.

Still, what I really wanted to post about was the extra-curricular activity binge that's heavily setting in amongst loads of people. I'm doing piano, pilates, cycling and helping run 2 companies. Your yoga, cycling, running and writing sounds cool. Everybody's mad for self-improvement. It is totally a case of the only failure is just not bothering but it's also kind of amazing we have the time!

It's just interesting, after the post-graduation "what do I do now?" phase and the mid-20s "my career is important to me" phase, now comes the "I'm a whole person" phase.