Thursday, November 06, 2003

Singing for my supper (well... beer)

Good rugby games from En-ger-lund and the All blacks led to a good nights drinking in Barrytown. So the next day we napped off hangovers on the way down towards Franz-Joseph, where we arrived in good time to sign up for the glacier walking trip, a recommended highlight of the whole NZ experience.

After my hard days trekking, we moved on through the small township of Haast, and carried on the next day past the famous bra fence near Hasst and into Wanaka where I have stopped over to explore the famous puzzleworld (where I got myself a rubix cube to play with) and to take five. As a result, the photos are all up to date and tell a far more interesting story than this post - go look !

Only story worth telling is of my singing vistory last night. Having met up with some old friends I last saw in Auckland, we went out for a drink at "shooters". A karaoke night began shortly after our arrival, which seemed to attract as much interest as paint drying. We were reliably informed that every song sung earns a free smirnoff ice. So I signed up for a couple of songs, and proceeded to "turbo shandy" my drinks all night. Given the minimal interest and business generated by the karaoke, I was suprised enough to get the free booze - I became even more suprised at the end of the night when one of the other singers won $50 bar tab. I was even MORE suprised to discover this was a second place prize, and that I had won the $100 bar tab ! Having already stocked up with larger jugs during happy hour, most of the tab is still untouched, which promises a good nights drinking tonight !

No comments: