Friday, April 30, 2004

They have people here called Troy !

It seems some people were still unaware of my extended stay in Oz - even though it has clearly been posted since... ...April 20th ! It also seems there are those who log on quite a lot, only to find I have failed to update once again - well this ones for you ! Oh, the title has nothing to do with this post. But they DO have people here called Troy :)

My time in "the Nunnery" hostel is drawing to a close, as I prepare to move in with a workmate for the next two months. In that time I have had pizza thrown at me by a drunken roomate, only to have to wake her up early to catch her early flight (for which I was given the rest of the previous nights vodka. I hate vodka). I've woken up on the TV room sofas once too often, had lots of free ice-cream and nibbles, indluged in the SUnday morning pancakes and basically got sick of sleeping in the same room as 2-3 random people every night.

Kite surfing has become a constant pain also - my final hour lesson has been cancelled the last 6 weekends for not enough wind, except the one time where just for irony it was cancelled for too much wind. My conclusion is Kiting and 9-5 jobs don't mix well. At least it stopped me spending $2,500 on my own kit... Anyhow, final lesson scheduled for tomorrow - weather outlook isn't too promising (naturally).

Bens final thought - essentially I am staying on for the money. I like my job and workmates, and I've got a little social cliche going over here, so things are pretty good. But the big worry would be returning home to discover I have no cash and need to take the first half-decent job I can get which could take a while with the job market still not "recovered" from the crash two years ago.

There are a lot of things I am going to miss this summer, and I have had major doubts over the last week or two as I sort out my business sponsership about staying on. There are weddings, summer festivals and even college reunions all happening - so I expect lots of photos from everyone attending these events ! Alas, regarding photos, my camera has finally taken on too much dust / sand / mistreatment and broken down after 9 months of major usage. Short of getting it fixed, I think I might be looking for a new camera soon. Until then, no new pictures on the photo site I'm afraid... Missing everyone loads at the moment (I blame it on the final scene of Love, Actually which was on the hostel TV the other night - lots of people hugging at an airport - it's a killer for backpackers that one). Take care, Ben

No comments: