Monday, April 07, 2008

Horses didn't pay out, but I'm still the Cashback king

Another grand national and once again the turkey I picked in the work sweepstakes fell at an early fence, all it's legs fell off and then it burst into flames... or something slightly less horrific - but equally as useless as a "race winning maneuver" in any case.

This year I also put a "real" bet on - this time using Betfair. I signed up, put 10 pounds down (and then another 2 pounds down on a credit card to prove I was over 18) and bet across two horses, both of which did slightly better by staying on their feet, but forgot to run fast and earn me lots of cash. But I am still 38 quid up on this bet, or at least I will be...

Welcome to the world of cashback websites, the king and most friendly / reliable of which is QuidCo.By simply signing up to QuidCo, and then using the special buttons they provide to go to your favourite internet commerce site, you can get the referral fee that such sites pay to any third party who directs you to them. For instance, when you are on a football fan's site, and he has put amazon links to various football merchandise, if you click that link and buy the merchandise, amazon give a small percentage of that money back to the football fan's website owner. QuidCo do the same, but they then pass the money back to YOU (although they do keep the first five pounds each year to cover costs / make a profit).

So it often happens that some companies offer a particularly good cashback rate for a short promotional time, which QuidCo normally note on their QuidBlog; such as in this case Betfair, who were offering 50 pounds cashback for all new signups who spent 10 pounds on betting. So currently I am 12 quid down on the nags, but come June, I should be around about 38 quid up ! QuidCo really is a safe bet and recommended to all UK money savers out there.

No comments: